ELI holds to the general statement of faith articulated by the Evangelical Council of Financial Accountability. We believe these general statements above are more fully expressed in the Gospel Coalition Confessional Statement and in the classic formulations of the Westminster Confession of Faith, the Three Forms of Unity (Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, and Canons of Dordt), the Second London Baptist Confession, and the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His present rule as Head of the Church and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences.
- We believe that the Gospel is not only “the power of God unto salvation” but that it is also the power of God for sanctification. The more deeply we grasp the depth of God’s love as demonstrated at the cross, the more we will love God. The more we love God, the more we will live for his glory and honor.